Thursday, August 22, 2013

EXCLUSIVE: Godfrey Gao talks boxers, teasing Kevin Zegers and the Magnificient Magnus Bane

Godfrey Gao, right, with co-star Robert Sheehan at the LA premiere of The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones.
PHOTO: Amber Pruitt/TMI Institute


Magnus Bane walks into a room and sits down by you. What do you say? How do you react? What questions would you have? After seeing The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones, I sat down with other TMI super bloggers, Katie from Mundie Moms, Kristen from TMI Movie News and Erin from Fangirlish, to interview the actor portraying the High Warlock of Brooklyn, Godfrey Gao. 


Katie, Mundie Moms: You walking around in your little boxers, and the whole Magnus Party scene, how was that?


Godfrey: When I went to the first day on set, I had to do a fitting right? So they were like "So we're going to have you wearing this nice purple velvet blazer" and I was like ok, cool. And then, "I'll give you this nice dress shirt to go with it, it kind of matches and some necklace and accessories", ok, cool, I'm liking the sound of that. And then, I looked over to the right and there's a rack of boxers [he laughs] and underwear, and I was like "So, what's that?" and they said "uh, yeah, those are the bottoms that you're gonna to wear for the scene". I was like ok. There were some boxers with hearts on it and there were some with...I don't know, it was pretty crazy. But there was a rack of boxers and then she was like just pick the one you like. I was like, mmm how about none of those? And then the director came in and was like "those boxers kind of look too much like an outfit. It's like boxers with the blazer and everything else, with the dress shoes, it just looks like an outfit. I want something more shocking, ya know? When people see the scene they go 'Oh, he's not wearing any pants." And then Harald said "So, um, Godfrey, what are you wearing today? I was like uh, just some briefs. They were really tight too, I was like uuuh some grey briefs. Then Harald was just like, "Why don't you put that on. I want to see it". [He laughs again]. This is like the first day for me in the studio and I had to be in front of like maybe 10 people; producers, and Harald, and ya know the wardrobe people. I was like here it is...here's my grey boxers. Harald's like "Yep! That's the one! Let's use that one!" And I was like are you serious? And then I remember I had to go to the Producer's that were shooting on set so I had these tear-aways on and went over there and they were like 'oh, ok, sure. Whatever you say Harald. It looks good'. And then we just ended up using that. That was my first scene for Magnus Bane, it was pretty crazy.

Amber, The Mortal Institute: Fans feel that you are one of the overall most beloved and important characters in the Shadowhunter world. What have you thought about the fan reaction to you being Magnus? How excited are you going forward with this franchise?

Godfrey: I'm very excited. Very excited. I'm very overwhelmed by how many followers and supporters there are for this movie and for my character Magnus. I've really got to thank the fans and the people that support this whole series and this movie. I'm really excited just for this movie and future movies to come. I'm happy that everything is right where it needs to be right now. It's crazy because the movie hasn't even come out yet and there's so many people ya know, talking about this and they can't wait for the movie to come out. So I'm just enjoying work and I'm enjoying my first time in Hollywood and to be a part of all of this. I'm very honored to be a part of this project. Hopefully I can be in it for the long run.

Kristen, TMI Movie News: Are you prepared to come back for the 'Infernal Devices'?

Godfrey: Yeah, I hope so. Yes!

Kristen, TMI Movie News: Are you prepared for glitter in the mail?

Godfrey: Yes, I'm definitely prepared for that because it was actually pretty fun for me. I've never done anything like that, with my outfits. Just taking the time and detail to put all of that stuff on. The glitter, and eyeliner, eye-shadow and the nail polish. It was fun.

Kristen, TMI Movie News: Did you wear it around Toronto, on accident maybe?

Godfrey: Yeah, after the first day on set. I had all this stuff on and then after the shoot I was going to go back to the hotel and I was like 'Uh, should I just take these off, just in case the hotel lobby would be scared?' [laughs]. Ya know, if I came in like that.   But yeah, I took them off every time I was finished working just...I probably couldn't sleep in those. I enjoyed it, and it was fun. I can't wait to be Magnus again. To put that stuff back on.

Kristen, TMI Movie News: What's your favorite characteristic of Magnus? What do you like most about him?

Godfrey: He's a flamboyant guy. He's like none of the other characters in the series. Obviously he throws parties. It's just something different that I haven't actually become something like this before in my acting career. So it's fun, he's a very fun character and I just enjoy his whole outfit and his presence. The way he acts in those parties and he's a heavy drinker maybe? Or, he's a party animal. I love that about him. And especially his outfits. They're pretty cool. Especially the warlock outfit. It's cool too.

Erin, Fangirlish: Are you hoping to wear pants though?

Godfrey: Hopefully. Hopefully they'll have some pants for me this time. Actually I can say the warlock outfit was something, like for me was pretty cool because the whole um, the hat that goes over it. Kind of like a, how do you call that, a corset, like black leather corset wrapped around it. It goes all the way to my feet. I felt like a warlock, ya know. Just walking around, it was pretty cool. Hopefully I can borrow that for Halloween. [laughs]

Amber,The Mortal Institute: What about the vulnerability you showed when caring for Alec? How did you get into that frame of mind that I really like this guy?

Godfrey: I guess I had to imagine. Um, I think it was fun for me, actually just to tease Kevin. He's a pretty shy guy. But it was fun. I just imagined him like the most incredible woman in my life. [laughs] I was like hey, Kevin and I'd give him a wink. And he was like 'Uhhhh' [laughs again] Ok, so that's enough of that. But it's fun ya know? He does a pretty good job too, as being shy and like 'is he looking at me?'. So, I enjoyed that.

Kristen, TMI Movie News:You do a good job of being the "keeper of the secrets" in City of Bones. Do you think we'll see more from you in City of Ashes?

Godfrey: Yeah. There's definitely more in the 'City of Ashes' and 'City of Glass'. So, ya know, hopefully I can be a part of it.

Katie, Mundie Moms: Have you read further in the series? Have you read City of Ashes?

Godfrey: Yeah, I've read City of Ashes and I'm just looking at it over and over just waiting for the script.

Katie, Mundie Moms: I like the scene with Lily where we get to see her discover that you're the one that buys her mom's paintings. A more personal side to your character, that he cares.

Godfrey: I like the scene with Lily actually because it talks about what had happened, more on a personal level too with Lily's character. It's kind of like helping her out in an emotional way. I think it's great, ya know, you get that personal level between the two characters and what their history was and why they're doing it. And ya know, it develops into a good relationship in the whole series.

1 comment:

  1. WHY AREN'T THEY MAKING MOVIES OF CITY OF FALLEN ANGELS, LOST SOULS, AND HEAVENLY FIRE? Now the on screen story won't be complete!!?!?!!!!?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...