Saturday, October 6, 2012

Book Review: Beautiful Chaos by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl



Cursed lovers Ethan and Lena have returned to their home town, which is now ravaged by swarms of locusts, record-breaking heat, and devastating storms. What - or who - will need to be sacrificed to save Gatlin?

For Ethan, the chaos is a frightening but welcome distraction. He's being haunted in his dreams again, but this time it isn't by Lena - and whatever is haunting him is following him out of his dreams and into his everyday life. Even worse, Ethan is gradually losing pieces of himself - forgetting names, phone numbers, even memories. He doesn't know why, and most days he's too afraid to ask.

Sometimes there isn't just one answer or one choice. Sometimes there's no going back. And this time there won't be a happy ending.






If there was ever a word to describe this book it would probably be....poignant.

If I'm honest, I didn't know what to think when I started reading this book, since I didn't think much to Beautiful Darkness until the end. But I absolutely loved this. The third instalment to a rather complicated but fascinating story.
The title really does live up to its name: there was certainly a lot of chaos.

I thought the character development was far better and compared to Beautiful Darkness, the characters themselves were... less annoying. Lena wasn't as whiny, or emo as before, and she really is growing on me. I think what it is, is they're all growing up. In a way that might not be obvious, but you can sort of...tell. 

They're only 17/18 years old, but since book 1, they've all had to face challenges that no teenager should have to deal with: death, sacrifice, a world ending...you know, the average problems one goes through on a day to day basis. Haha.
Ethan found he had a few things to figure out in this part of his life's story.

Certain characters surprised me, however. Like John Breed. He turned out to be less of an arse-hole than I initially thought; so I guess Ethan and I have that in common. 

I felt sorry for Marian and Liv. 

Macon as always proved his potential and cracked me up in moments that quite frankly, you don't expect to be made to laugh. He just has that wit in the most weirdest of moments.

Near the end, however, Amma disappointed me.

Sarafine's history tidbits were really interesting, and you got to know more about her - maybe even feel sorry for her in moments - but in the end, she just didn't change.

Abraham.... yeah I still hate him.

Link...Oh, he really brought his personality to the forefront. I adore Link, and in some ways, I think he kind of makes the story. Just because he proves he's more than just a sidekick. He can help, too. And especially given the problem in which he gained at the end of Beautiful Darkness, he proves his worth, too. He's not useless, and he has a heart. 

I mean the "love story" between him and Ridley was both sad and quite disturbing. He loves her, and she just can't deal with what she became so she goes and hurts him. Denial is a cruel beast.
I just hope Link can come down from that horrid roller-coaster of feelings and find happiness.

That ending though....I did NOT see that coming. Then again, I'm no Seer. Oh I can't wait for Beautiful Redemption. I know it's going to be kick-ass.

So that's my view, and I definitely think, even if you struggled through Beautiful Darkness, to get through to Beautiful Chaos is SO WORTH IT! In my opinion, it's the best of the series so far.

It's got the romance, drama, action, and lots of well written character building! You (hopefully) won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...