Monday, October 15, 2012

Book review: Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini



Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is--now it's getting harder. She's having nightmares of a desperate desert journey, visions of three women weeping tears of blood. And why is she possessed by the sudden, unstoppable urge to kill the handsome new boy in school, Lucas Delos?

A love written in the stars . . .

A feud started in ancient Greece . . .

A curse not even the gods can break.









I first got this book because so many people on twitter had said how great it was. So I thought "why not?"
It had never jumped out at me before, but it was worth a shot. And you know what? I liked it. Mostly.

The use of Greek mythology in with modern times was done well, if slightly confusing in parts.
But I think that was more due to how the characters behaved. I thought some of the reactions I.e. Claire, when Helen showed her what she could do and Claire was basically unsurprised.
I just found it...unrealistic. If that's even possible in a work of fiction.

So the relationship between Helen and Lucas...oh where do I start?

They had me on a weird, stop and start, whiplash roller coaster. I think because at first you think they have no chance of being together, then BAM! they're suddenly in love. I felt that it all happened a bit too quickly, given how big the book was.
Their twist near the end,though was a bit weird. Confusing. And I just thought they had enough problems without adding to it. Asides from that, the pace was quite slow.

In some ways I felt the story could have been wrapped up in about 350 pages rather than the long 514 that it was.  However, I liked how each character had their own part to play and there weren't any fill-ins just to keep things interesting. It was interesting all on its own.

The interaction between each of the family members was a bit confusing at first and trying to decipher each of their motives was hard, but then you find out why they each act how they act and everything falls into place.

 Over all I'd probably give this book a 3.5 out of 5. Looking forward to reading Dreamless (Book 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...