Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Book Review: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout




Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.



First off I'd like to say HOLY MOTHER OF GOD THAT WAS SEXY!

Secondly, I'd like to say, WHAT IS IT WITH SEXY BOYS IN BOOKS?

And thirdly...well...I just damn well loved this book!

I'll admit, the concept of aliens was slightly...off-putting at first. I know lots of my followers on twitter have read this, and my friends were saying over and over that I had to read it. But aliens, really? I just couldn't see it.
However, I was intrigued. I was hesitant about buying the book, but I did anyway and guess what? I fell in love. The aliens...they're just not what you imagine. And asides from a couple of times when he talks about where he comes from.... well you mostly can forget it's aliens.

This sexy sexy, down right hilarious (in parts, but even the sexy parts were kinda funny) book was just what I wanted. Albeit, some of the scenes were a little...shall I say, cheesy. And the sexy scenes sometimes a little....frustrating because you just wanted these two lovely characters, Daemon and Katy to get at it like rabbits but for some unfortunate reason Daemon continued to be an ass and piss off the person he really, actually likes. Who knows why he acts that way. Daemon is a complete mystery to us all, I should think.
He is, ultimately, a sex god. He has that swagger, that "I know I'm hot and there's nothing you can do about it" vibe going on. And usually that would put me off, because there's nothing sexier than a humble guy who is sexy but doesn't know it. Well, now it turns out, you can have both.

Katy's whole persona was, at first glance, JUST LIKE ME! I was shocked. Asides from the fact I'm not that attractive (in my own eyes) and I don't have the luck of guys falling for me (maybe in my dreams), we were basically the same. As I'm sure a lot of other book nerdy girls around the globe are. We sit in front of our computers, shut out from the world, writing up blogs and stuff. Sadly, not all of us have the pleasure of having a REALLY HOT neighbour.

So their chemistry, Katy and Daemon... Can I say...SMOKING! They made me laugh so hard with their banter, and you knew there was an underlining emotion there that was dying to break free of its chains. A couple of times it did, but then...it got smacked back down to ChinaTown, as they say.

I loved Dee, i thought her bubbly personality was....albeit a little exhausting at times, but she really had a good heart to her. Lesa and...I forget the other girls name, well they added something..not quite sure what yet, but I'm sure it'll occur to me in time.
I loved Katy's mum...she was what you would call Embarrassing. With a capitol E. But cool with it, in a way.

Even though, in some other books that are somewhat sexy, there may not be much actual plot, unlike them, this was just...The dialogue was so good, it made you forget that there wasn't actually that much going on. Not in a bad way, but I found myself so engrossed in the backwards and forwards arguments (albeit, funny) between Katy & Daemon, that nothing major really needed to happen. Some books make that mistake of having not much go on and you're just reading paragraph after paragraph of what they did next but nothing EXCITING happens. This book...took you to the sky and back again. I swear to you...
The action was just as intense, too. It was written in a way that I didn't get bored. Some fight scenes in books can leave you feeling like you've just swallowed a lot of words but not a lot going on, you know? This time, I was in the moment. I felt the pain and the (sometimes pleasure) and the drama.

So I don't usually do really long reviews, and I'm doing my best not to spoil too much (Hopefully I've succeeded) and so I will leave you with these three wise words:

READ. THIS. BOOK!

There's no other way to put it. I can't believe I hadn't read this sooner, but now I'm beyond excited to purchase Onyx on Amazon and read that and find out what other kinky/sassy/fun stuff the duo get up to.

A definite five stars for this bad boy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...