Monday, February 4, 2013

Music Monday #18: "Now" by Paramore

There's a time and a place to die, but this ain't it...

 
The long awaited new album from rock darlings Paramore comes out April 9th, and their new single "Now" is a great anthem for The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones. Music Monday, here we go!
 
 
 
 
Now we all know that Paramore split back in 2010. We've been waiting for a full length release since the Farro brothers departure. Their new self titled album feels like a freshman effort redux, which is exciting for fans like me. The trio of frontwoman Hayley Williams, lead guitarist Taylor York and bassist Jeremy Davis is thrilling fans with this new song "Now".
 
The song speaks of their fresh start as a "new" band, but for our purposes, let's take a look at the lyrics in terms of City of Bones:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The first few lyrics - Feels like I'm waking from the dead and everyone's been waiting on me - reminds me of Clary when she "wakes up" and discovers that there's a hidden world before her eyes. She has been "asleep" in the reality of the Shadowhunters, a world so scary to her mother that she had Magnus Bane hide her memories from her.
 
Again, here's another lyric that's very much reminiscent of TMI:
Weren't we indestructible? Thought that we could brave it all.
 Never thought that what would take me out was hiding down below
 
See the similarities here? Clary felt like she lived a normal life...like there was nothing that could take her or her mom out. What she didn't realize was there was a sinister plot by Valentine to destroy a world she never knew. It was a "world below" of Shadowhunters and Downworlders waiting to topple everything she knew.
 
 
I also think about the Downworlders and the ever present fear that Valentine will find the Mortal Cup and create a Shadowhunter army to destroy them:
 
If there's a future, we want it now.
Don't try to take this from me. Don't try to take this from me. NOW.
 
There's also the scenes with Madame Dorethea where she reads Clary and Jace's future. We know it's tarot cards, but I still thought this line was appropriate for the moment:
 
Wish I could find a crystal ball ....
For the days I feel completely worthless.
You know I'd use it all for good,
I would not take it for granted.
Instead, I have some memories
For the days I don't feel anything.
At the least, they will remind me not to make the same mistake again.
 
So what do you think, Shadowhunters? Could this be something you would want to hear on the City of Bones soundtrack? We know that Paramore became megastars for their two songs in Twilight: "Decode" and "I Caught Myself". Not in any way do I want the music supervisor, whoever it ends up being, to pick a band like Paramore for that reason. I feel like the lyrics speak for themselves.
 
Give me your thoughts below on what you think about "Now" or talk to me on Twitter: @TMI_institute. You can also check out Paramore on Twitter: @Paramore, @yelyahwilliams (Hayley), @itstayloryall (Taylor), and @schzimmydeanie (Jeremy).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...